Dedicated to enhancing the quality of life in our community, Johnson County Park and Recreation District offers year-round program, activities, and special events for all ages!
For more information or to register online for the programs listed here, visit JCPRD.com/Register and complete a search for any of the activity numbers listed below. To register by phone, call 913-831-3359.
A reminder that while JCPRD’s 50 Plus programs are primarily for people who are age 50 or older, interested parties who have not yet reached that magic age may still be able to attend. Persons 18 and older who are interested in a 50 Plus class are invited to call the 50 Plus Department at 913-826-2975 for space availability.
Here’s a sampling of programs JCPRD has coming up for the week of Sept. 24-30:
Sept. 25 - Art: Senior Arts Council (Ages 50 & Older)
- Roeland Park Community Center, 4850 Rosewood Dr., 1 to 3 p.m. monthly on the last Monday of each month through November, $25 annual fee - Meet fellow artists and enthusiasts by becoming a member of the Senior Arts Council. Meetings include presentations by a featured artist, workshops, or demonstrations. An invitation for membership is extended for those 55 and older; visitors welcome. Members have the opportunity to display and sell their works at various exhibits. Meetings held the last Monday of the month through November. Activity number 32041.
Sept. 25 - Games: Virtual Scattergories® (Ages 50 & Older)
- Virtual Program, 1 to 2 p.m., FREE - Think fast and write quicker in this fun and fast-paced game of alliterative words and categories! Zoom link will be emailed the day prior to the program. Activity number 31823.
Sept. 25 - Group Youth Swim Lessons (Ages 6 months & Older)
- Shawnee Mission School District Aquatic Center, 17251 W. 87th St., Lenexa, Mondays and Wednesdays, 10 classes in six levels, beginning times vary, 8 30-min sessions, $65 per child, $72 nonresidents - Morning and evening classes available. Lesson levels include: Preschool A, Preschool B, Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, and Level 4. Most levels are assigned based on skill level rather than age. See descriptions of swim levels, or use our Swim Level Assessment Form. Search and register for Group Swim Lessons.
Sept. 26 - Birding: Fall Bird Walk (Ages 18 & Older)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, 7:30 to 9 a.m., $9 per person, $10 nonresidents - Join us for a morning walk in the woods to look for fall migrants and resident birds. Get help spotting and identifying different species. Bring binoculars if possible, as limited loaner binoculars will be available. Advanced registration is required. Activity number 31458.
Sept. 26 - Special Interest: Keys to Embracing Aging (Ages 50 & Older)
- New Century Fieldhouse, 551 New Century Parkway, near Gardner, 10 to 11:30 a.m., $5 per person, $6 nonresidents - This class introduces twelve healthy behavior practices that encourage optimal aging throughout the lifespan. The twelve keys of optimal aging include: positive attitude, eating smart and healthy, physical activity, brain activity, social activity, tuning-in to the times, safety, know your health numbers, stress management, financial affairs, sleep, and taking time for you. Program presented by the K-State Extension. Activity number 32040.
Sept. 27 - Bingo: Back to School Lunch & Bingo (Ages 50 & Older)
- Roeland Park Community Center, 4850 Rosewood Dr., 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., $17 per person, $19 nonresidents - The Roeland Park Community Center is back open and ready to show off our redesigned space. Tours will be given at 11 a.m. for those who are interested. The 50 Plus community is invited to join us for a nostalgic school lunch served at 11:30 a.m. and twelve games of bingo to follow. We promise there won’t be any pop quizzes! Cost of admission covers food and staff time to administer the bingo program. No additional charge for bingo. Activity number 26632.
Sept. 27 - Flag Football: Clinic with Challenger Sports (Grades K-1, 2-3, 4-5, & 6-8)
- Mid-America West Sports Complex, 20200 Johnson Dr., Shawnee, Wednesdays, times vary (see below), 4 sessions, $63 per person, $70 nonresidents - Join Challenger Sports at Mid-America West Sports Complex to learn the game or enhance already honed skills. New and experienced players are welcome. Beginners will be introduced to the sport by learning mechanics and game play. More experienced players will be able to fine tune skills in preparation for upcoming seasons. Players will be divided into teams for drills and scrimmages. Clinic for Grades K & 1 from 6:15 to 7:15 p.m., activity number 31786. Clinic for Grades 2 & 3 from 6:15 to 7:15 p.m., activity number 31787. Clinic for Grades 4 & 5 from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m., activity number 31788. Clinic for Grades 6-8 from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m., activity number 31789.
Sept. 29 - Adventure Walk: Twilight Hike (Ages 3-6 with an Adult)
- Ernie Miller Park, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, 7 to 8:30 p.m., $9 per person - including adults, $10 nonresidents - Explore the trails at Ernie Miller Park as the sun sets. Listen for the nocturnal sounds of a cricket’s chorus and a barred owl’s call. Gather around a cheery fire ring for stories, activities, and a tasty treat. Participants should bring a flashlight. Advanced registration required. Activity number 31529.
Sept. 29 - Dance: Drop in and Dance! Swing Night (Ages 14 & Older)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 7 to 9 p.m., $15 per person / $16.50 nonresidents - 4th of 13 separate Friday night classes - Each class in this Drop in and Dance series running through mid-December will focus on a different genre, including swing, tap, belly dancing, and musical theatre. Step into the world of swing dancing where you'll immerse yourself in the joyful energy of this iconic dance style. Get ready to groove to swing music, master classic steps, and connect with fellow dancers in a dynamic, spontaneous atmosphere – no prior experience required! Activity number 32074. See all classes in this series.
Sept. 29 - Performing Vocal Group: The Side By Side Experience (Ages 50 & Older)
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, Fridays, 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., 14 sessions, $14 per person, $15 nonresidents - Looking for a way to sing and enjoy music with other performance lovers? This group of easy-going singers and piano players welcomes you to have fun with music regardless of your skill level. We offer weekly rehearsals with performances throughout the community during the month. Activity number 32197. For questions, call 913-826-2975.
Sept. 29 registration deadline – event is Oct. 6 - Gary L. Haller Memorial Golf Tournament (Ages 18 & Older)
- Tomahawk Hills Golf Course, 17501 Midland Dr., Shawnee, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., $100 for individuals and $400 for teams of four - This memorial golf tournament celebrates the life and accomplishments of JCPRD’s former director and raises funds for the foundation that continues to support his vision. Haller served as JCPRD’s director from August 1974 until he retired in March 2001. He passed away in December 2020. Check-in for the tournament will begin at 8 a.m. with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. Registration includes breakfast pastries, juice and coffee at check-in, green fees, cart, on-course refreshments, swag bag, catered lunch by sponsor Johnny’s BBQ, range balls, and prizes. To register or for more information, go to jcprdfoundation.org/events/2023/10/6/save-the-date-gary-l-haller-golf-tournament. Net proceeds from the tournament will benefit The Parks and Recreation Foundation of Johnson County, which promotes the development and sustainability of parks, trails, green space, recreation, and the arts through advocacy and financial support.