Dedicated to enhancing the quality of life in our community, Johnson County Park and Recreation District offers year-round program, activities, and special events for all ages!
For more information or to register online for the programs listed here, visit JCPRD.com/Register and complete a search for any of the activity numbers listed below. To register by phone, call 913-831-3359.
A reminder that while JCPRD’s 50 Plus programs are primarily for people who are age 50 or older, interested parties who have not yet reached that magic age may still be able to attend. Persons 18 and older who are interested in a 50 Plus class are invited to call the 50 Plus Department at 913-826-2975 for space availability.
Here’s a sampling of programs JCPRD has coming up for the week of June 11-17:
June 12 - Games: Virtual Scattergories® (Ages 50 & Older)
- Virtual Program, 10 to 11 a.m., FREE - Think fast and write quicker in this fun and fast-paced game of alliterative words and categories! Zoom link will be emailed the day prior to the program. Zoom information is also on the receipt notes. Activity number 26608.
June 12-15 - Soccer: JOCO Summer Soccer Camp (Ages 6-12)
- New Century Fieldhouse, 551 New Century Parkway, near Gardner, 4 sessions, Monday through Thursday, 6:30 to 8 p.m., $75 per person - Come be a part of this four-day summer soccer camp. Coach Alvie Beltran will be instructing the camp and will cover the basics of soccer with fun drills and games each day. Each child should bring their own soccer ball, wear shin guards, long socks, and soccer cleats or tennis shoes, and bring a water bottle. Activity number 29622. For questions, call 913-826-2850.
June 12-16 - Sports: Youth Triathlon Camp (Ages 6-10)
- Shawnee Mission Park, Shelter #2, 7900 Renner Road, Shawnee and Lenexa, 9 a.m. to Noon, $180 per person - Are you looking for something unique that empowers, develops character, and inspires your kids? Then join Ironman World Championship Athlete & Coach, Josh Wolf and USA Triathlon Race Director Katy Renner for our popular youth triathlon camp! Camp will focus on the fundamentals of swimming, biking, and running. Athletes must bring their own bike, helmet, and gear for each sport. All participants in this camp must be able to swim 25 meters unassisted. Contact Katy at 913-826-2964 for more details. To register runsignup.com/Race/KS/Lenexa/JCPRDKidsTriathlonCamp.
June 12-16 - Biking: Buddy Pegs Mountain Bike School (Ages 5-10)
- Cedar Niles Park Shelter #1, 25780 W. 135th St., Olathe, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to Noon, 5 sessions, $225 per person, $248 nonresidents - Perfect for beginner, intermediate, and advanced trail riders. Bike coaching includes: brake, modulation using front and back brakes, steering in control, looking ahead, bike body separation, ready position, riding in a group, front wheel lifts, climbing and descending safely, and yielding to others trail users. Off-the-bike activities include bike cleaning and maintenance, bike safety checks, and bike themed games and crafts. Operated by certified Buddy Pegs coaches who are known for their patient, compassionate, and fun teaching style. Children are grouped by ability level based on the Buddy Pegs Paw Rating System. Participants may bring their own bike or rent a bike. Multi-speed bikes with hand brakes and knobby tires required. Activity number 25078.
June 12-16 - Art Labs: Maker Camp (Ages 12-17)
- Johnson County Museum at Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., $225 per person, $247.50 nonresidents - NEW! Looking for a way to be creative and learn new skills this Summer? Sign up for our Maker Camp and you'll learn about electronics, mechanics design and get an introduction to digital fabrication through 3D printing and laser cutting! Activity number 24002.
June 12-16 - Soccer: Creative Skills Soccer Camps (Ages 6-9 & 10-16)
- New Century Fieldhouse, 551 New Century Parkway, near Gardner, 5 sessions, Monday through Friday, times vary, $220 per person - Challenger Sports coaches will be running the creative skills soccer camp. The camp offers a wide variety of fun and games, with soccer at its core through its innovative and exciting game concept. Creative Skills offers a unique concept to clubs and organizations to help complement and support them in their developmental needs and help unlock creativity in their players. Unlike most skills camps being purely technical, this camp also focuses on the psychological and philosophical combined aspects to create an atmosphere which fosters creative player development. This is why we use a combination of 3v3 inflatable fields, and music and coaches that can inspire and motivate young players. Camp for ages 6 to 9 runs 9 a.m. to Noon daily, activity number 30977. Camp for ages 10 to 16 runs 1 to 4 p.m. daily, activity number 30978. For questions, call 913-826-2850.
June 13 - Adventure Walk: Ernie Miller Park (Ages 50 & Older)
- Departs from Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch, Merriam, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., $25 per person, $27 nonresidents - We will start our time at Ernie Miller with a walk along the natural/gravel Upper Ridge Trail, followed by a visit to the nature center to view their exhibits and animals. The trail has low to moderate inclines. Bring a packed lunch for this trip as we will eat lunch at the nature center. On the way home we will stop somewhere for ice cream! Food costs on your own. Activity number 26812.
June 13 - Cards: Bridge Workshops - Overcalls (Ages 50 & Older)
- Matt Ross Community Center, 8101 Marty St., Overland Park, 4 to 6 p.m., $12 per person, $13 nonresidents - Become an in-demand partner with these bridge workshops. Fun and easy classes help you master a new subject each week. Workshops include handouts to take home. Activity number 26896. See other upcoming Bridge Workshops.
June 13 - Special Interest: Your Valuable Records (Ages 50 & Older)
- Matt Ross Community Center, 8101 Marty St., Overland Park, 9 to 10:30 a.m., $5 per person, $6 nonresidents - NEW! Learn how to record, keep track of, safely store, and organize paperwork and documents important in daily life, emergencies, financial caregiving, or estate planning. Program presented by K-State Extension. Activity number 26717.
June 16 - Special Interest: Open Road – Get Out to Dodge (Ages 50 & Older)
- Virtual Program, 10 to 11 a.m., FREE - NEW! Are you up for a road trip of your own? Our Open Road series offers information on destinations just outside of our Day Trip radius boundaries, so you have all you need to hit the road yourself! Join a staff member from the Dodge City Visitors Bureau to hear about this exciting western Kansas town! Activity number 26705.
June 16-18 & 21-24 - “Meet Me in St. Louis” (Rated G)
- 7710 Renner Road, Shawnee, 8:30 pm, Tickets are $10 (plus tax) for general admission, $6 (plus tax) for youth (Ages 4-10) Children 3 & under are FREE (but require a ticket.) - It is the summer of 1903, and everyone in the Smith family eagerly anticipates the opening of the 1904 World’s Fair. Over the course of a year, the family's mutual respect, tempered with good-natured humor, helps them through romance, opportunity, and heartbreaks. Bring the family and a blanket or chair and enjoy live musical theatre performances under the stars in beautiful Shawnee Mission Park! The box office opens at 7 pm, gates open at 7:30 pm, show begins at 8:30 pm. Buy tickets onsite or online.
June 17 - Intermediate Ballet - Summer Session (Ages 5-10)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., 8 sessions, $140 per person, $155 nonresidents - Develop coordination, rhythm, and intermediate level ballet positions in this fun and gentle course. This course is a great follow up to our PreK Ballet course. Ballet shoes and leotard required. Final session will allow parents to observe the class. Activity number 26404.
June 17 - Gymnastics: Indoor Open Gym (Ages 4-17)
- Mill Creek Activity Center, 6518 Vista Dr., Shawnee, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., $6 per person - Head to Mill Creek Activity Center for 60 minutes of unstructured, supervised gym time on all gymnastics apparatuses, trampoline, and our loose foam pit. A great opportunity for program participants to safely work on skills outside of class! Activity number 29421. Call 913-826-2950 for more information.