Dedicated to enhancing the quality of life in our community, Johnson County Park and Recreation District offers year-round program, activities, and special events for all ages!
For more information or to register online for the programs listed here, visit JCPRD.com/Register and complete a search for any of the activity numbers listed below. To register by phone, call 913-831-3359. For all in-person programs, physical distancing and COVID-19 safe practices will be encouraged.
A reminder that while JCPRD’s 50 Plus programs are primarily for people who are age 50 or older, interested parties who have not yet reached that magic age may still be able to attend. Persons 18 and older who are interested in a 50 Plus class are invited to call the 50 Plus Department at 913-826-2975 for space availability.
Here's a sampling of programs JCPRD has coming up for the week of Feb. 12-18:
Feb. 13 - Group Youth Swim Lessons (Ages 6 months & Older)
- Shawnee Mission School District Aquatic Center, 17251 W. 87th St., Lenexa, Mondays and Wednesdays, 14 classes in seven levels, beginning times, and class durations vary, 8 sessions, $65 per child, $72 nonresidents - Lesson levels include: Tot & Me, Preschool A, Preschool B, Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, and Level 4. Most levels are assigned based on skill level rather than age. Find descriptions of swim levels here, or use our Swim Level Assessment Form here. Search and register for Group Swim Lessons here.
Feb. 14 - Art: Beginning Drawing (Ages 16 & Older)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, Tuesdays, 6 to 8:30 p.m., 3 sessions, $66 per person, $73 nonresidents - Want to learn the basics of drawing or just work on sharpening your current skills? Whether you want to upgrade your journaling, improve the foundational drawings for your paintings, or just sketch for fun; this class will walk you through the basic aspects of drawing. Activity number 23938.
Feb. 15 - Early Learning: Cooks and Books (Ages 2-5 with an Adult)
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave, Prairie Village, 10:30 to 11 a.m., $3 per person, $4 nonresidents - Enjoy the reading of a favorite children's book and make a coordinating craft. A recipe for an easy, kid-friendly snack will be given out. Activity number 24568.
Feb. 17 - Day Trip: Dogs and Daredevils (Ages 50 & Older)
- Departs from Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch, Merriam, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., $119 per person - Travel to Topeka, Kan. and discover the wild world of Evel Knievel at the famous Evel Knievel Museum. After the tour, enjoy lunch and travel onto Washington, Kan., to the KSDS Assistance Dog Inc., training facility. See where they train these loyal companions to serve people who are physically disabled and/or visually impaired. Activity number 24636.
Feb. 18 - Exercise: Zumba Gold (Ages 50 & Older)
- Mill Creek Activity Center, 6518 Vista Dr., Shawnee, Saturdays, 9 to 9:50 a.m., 5 sessions, $40 per person, $44 nonresidents - This moderate intensity program is perfect for active older adults who are looking for a modified Zumba class. Easy-to-follow choreography focuses on balance, range of motion, coordination, and fun! Activity number 24514. Want to try a class before committing to the entire session? Call for details 913-826-3160.
Feb. 18 - Bird Watching: Great Backyard Bird Count (All Ages)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, All Ages, 9 a.m. to Noon, FREE - Join us as we count birds and contribute to a worthy cause. Learn about the birds that spend winters in Northeast Kansas and help with the count. It’s easy as one-two-three. Every year biologists and researchers count on you to help them determine the health of bird populations in North America. Join us as we count birds and contribute data to a worthy cause. Come and go as you please between 9 am - 12 pm to help count birds. You may see Northern Cardinals, Black-capped Chickadees, and many other feathered friends. Learn about the birds that spend winters in Northeast Kansas from experienced birders from Burroughs Audubon Society of Greater Kansas City and Kansas Master Naturalists. For more information call 913- 826-2800. Activity number 24605.