For more information or to register online for the programs listed here, visit JCPRD.com/Register and complete a search for any of the activity numbers listed below. To register by phone, call 913-831-3359. For all in-person programs, physical distancing and COVID-19 safe practices will be encouraged.
A reminder that while JCPRD’s 50 Plus programs are primarily for people who are age 50 or older, interested parties who have not yet reached that magic age may still be able to attend. Persons 18 and older who are interested in a 50 Plus class are invited to call the 50 Plus Department at 913-826-2975 for space availability.
Here's a sampling of programs JCPRD has coming up for the week of Dec 11-17
Dec. 12 - Concert: New Horizons Band Concert Series (All Ages)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 7 to 8 p.m., FREE - Clear your calendars and don’t miss these performances by members of the New Horizons Band as they make beautiful music together. New this year - a New Horizons Jazz Band will also perform! This top-notch entertainment is free of charge, but donations for band needs are accepted at the door. Interested in watching online? Contact Lisa for the recorded video link at 913-826-3160. Activity number 23073.
Dec. 13 - Art: Art Explorers (Ages 3-7)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 10 to 10:45 a.m., $12 per person - Bring your budding artists into the Art Studio for a mini art project made just for them. We’ll explore different media and techniques of art like drawing, collage, and sculpture while building on early learning skills during this mini class. Students will need an adult to attend class with them. Activity number 22851.
Dec 13 - Cards: Bridge Workshops - Declarer Player (Ages 50 & Older)
- Matt Ross Community Center, 8101 Marty St., Overland Park, 4 to 5:30 p.m., $10 per person, $11 nonresidents - Become an in-demand partner with these bridge workshops. Fun and easy classes help you master a new subject each week. Purchase each workshop individually or take them all! Workshops include hands on instruction and handouts to take home. Activity number 23258. See other upcoming Bridge Workshops.
Dec. 14 - Special Event: Winter Picnic (Ages 50 & Older)
Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, 1:30 to 3 p.m., $15 per person, $16 nonresidents - NEW! Brrrr it’s cold outside so we are bringing the summer picnic inside. We will be having picnic snacks, lemonade, and lawn games! Activity number 23131.
Dec. 14 - Museum: Retro Storytime - “Frosty the Snow Man” (All Ages)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 10 to 10:45 a.m., $2 per person, $1.60 museum members - Preschoolers love stories from long ago, read by a special guest from the 1950s All-Electric House! A craft activity is included after the story ends. Everyone’s favorite snowman was born in 1950 as the subject of a record, and soon after appeared in many forms, including a Little Golden Book! Activity number 23489. This program is also available as a field trip for groups - call for more information at 913-715-2570.
Dec. 15 - Little Critter’s Day Out: Winter Wonderland (Ages 3-5)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, 9 a.m. to Noon, $19 per person, $21 nonresidents - Your Little Critter will enjoy three hours of fun and education once as you enjoy some personal time! Activities will vary but we will have an adventure, eat a snack, make a craft, play games, and see an animal visitor each day. Dress for the weather. Children must be potty trained. For more information call 913-826-2800. Advanced registration required. Sign up for just the Thursdays you want or for all of them! Activity number 23472. See all upcoming Little Critter’s Day Out sessions.
Dec. 16 - Special Event: Candy Cane Hunt (Ages 5 and under with Parent or Guardian)
Mill Creek Activity Center, 6518 Vista Dr., Shawnee, 10:30 a.m. to noon., $12 per person, $13 nonresidents) - Create a festive craft then go on the hunt for candy canes hidden around the facility. Take part in Open Playground too! This program is for children ages 5 and under. Activity number 23658. Pre-registration is required. For additional information call 913-826-2950.
Dec. 16 - Preschool: Snow Fun (Ages 2-5)
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., $7 per person, $8 nonresidents - We are bringing the fun inside and welcoming all things warm. Enjoy a story around the fireplace, s’mores, snowflake cocoa, and a winter craft. Activity number 23206.
Dec. 16 - Theatre: Adult Hogwarts© Night - Holiday Edition (Ages 16 & Older)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 6 to 9 p.m., $25 per person - Ever want to play quidditch? Ever want to find out which house you would be sorted into? Want to experiment with some potions and concoctions? You can do it all in this night of Harry Potter© fun! Activity number 22651.