Dedicated to enhancing the quality of life in our community, Johnson County Park and Recreation District offers year-round program, activities, and special events for all ages!
For more information or to register online for the programs listed here, visit JCPRD.com/Register and complete a search for any of the activity numbers listed below. To register by phone, call 913-831-3359. For all in-person programs, physical distancing and COVID-19 safe practices will be encouraged.
A reminder that while JCPRD’s 50 Plus programs are primarily for people who are age 50 or older, interested parties who have not yet reached that magic age may still be able to attend. Persons 18 and older who are interested in a 50 Plus class are invited to call the 50 Plus Department at 913-826-2975 for space availability.
Here's a sampling of programs JCPRD has coming up for the week of Oct. 9-15
Oct. 11 - Art: Art Explorers (Ages 3-7)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 10 to 10:45 a.m., $12 per person - Bring your budding artists into the Art Studio for a mini art project made just for them. We’ll explore different media and techniques of art like drawing, collage, and sculpture while building on early learning skills during this mini class. Students will need an adult to attend class with them. The theme for this session is drawing. Activity number 22848.
Oct. 12 - Museum: Retro Storytime - “The Happy Man and His Dump Truck” (All Ages)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 10 to 10:45 a.m., $2 per person, $1.60 museum members - Preschoolers love stories from long ago, read by a special guest from the 1950s All-Electric House! A craft activity is included after the story ends. Originally published in 1950, this book tells the story of a happy man who thrills a group of farm animals when he takes them for a joy ride in his dump truck! Activity number 23488. See all upcoming Retro Storytime sessions for the current season, click here. This program is also available as a field trip for groups - call for more information at 913-715-2570.
Oct. 12 - Alzheimer's: Responding to Dementia (Ages 50 & Older)
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, 2 to 3 p.m., FREE - Learn how to recognize common signs of Alzheimer’s and dementia; how to approach someone about memory concerns; importance of early detection and benefits of diagnosis. Presentations by Alzheimer’s Association. Activity number 23266.
Oct. 12 - Special Interest: Armchair Travel - Vermont Maple Syrup Tour (Ages 50 & Older)
- Virtual Program, 10 to 11 a.m., FREE - Join Pam Green with Green's Vermont Maple Sugarhouse as we hear about her award-winning syrup. She will send samples all the way from Vermont for you to taste with us the day of the presentation. Did you know there are different flavor intensities of maple syrup? Join us and learn all about them and the products maple sugaring creates. Activity number 23516.
Oct. 12 - Performing Group Music: New Horizons JAZZ Band (Ages 50 & Older)
- Roeland Park Community Center, 4850 Rosewood Dr., Roeland Park, Wednesdays, 6 to 8 p.m., 10 sessions, $60 per person, $66 nonresidents - New Horizons Band is offering a Jazz Band break-out group. Participants are welcome to be in both bands. Any instrument may join. Dig out your old instrument or purchase/rent a new one and join our group of fun-loving musicians. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t played in years! Through a cooperative effort between UMKC Conservatory of Music and Dance, Meyer Music, and JCPRD, this band offers an opportunity to make music in a relaxed, learning atmosphere. Call 913-826-3160 for details. Activity number 23830.
Oct. 13 - Little Critter’s Day Out: On the Moon (Ages 3-5)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, 9 a.m. to noon, $19 per person, $21 nonresidents - Your Little Critter will enjoy three hours of fun and education once as you enjoy some personal time! Activities will vary but we will have an adventure, eat a snack, make a craft, play games, and see an animal visitor each day. Dress for the weather. Children must be potty trained. For more information call 913-826-2800. Advanced registration required. Sign up for just the Thursdays you want or for all of them! A monthly bundle is offered at a discount when registering for all four available Thursdays in October. You must register for all four dates in the same month at the same time to receive the discount. Activity number 23464. See all upcoming Little Critter’s Day Out sessions for the current season.
Oct. 13 - Witches’ Tea (Ages 50 & Older)
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, 1:30 to 3 p.m., $15 per person, $16 nonresidents - NEW! If the broom fits, fly it! Enjoy an afternoon with Halloween-themed games, a scary twist to traditional tea snacks, and an opportunity to sample some of the tea potions. Teacups provided. Activity number 23128.
Oct. 13 to 16 - JCPRD Lifeguard Training - October (Ages 15 & Older)
- Shawnee Mission School District Aquatic Center, 17251 W. 87th Street, Lenexa, 4 to 6 p.m. session via Zoom on Oct. 13, on-site from 4 to 8 p.m. on Oct. 14, and from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily on Oct. 15 & 16, FREE to potential JCPRD employees - This blended learning American Red Cross Lifeguarding class is intended for potential JCPRD employees only. If you do not wish to lifeguard for JCPRD, then this is not the class for you. Please also fill the form out at JCPRD.com/FormCenter/Aquatics-16/Aquatics-Job-Interest-Form-523.
Oct. 14 - Museum: Kids' Day Out (Ages 6-10)
- Johnson County Museum at Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., $38 per person - Come have fun when school is out! Discover history through hands-on activities and exploration of KidScape and museum exhibits, play games, and enjoy down time. Bring a lunch, snacks, and water bottle and dress for the weather - we will go outside if we can. We are open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., but you may drop off and pick up at any time. Five-year-old children can be enrolled if currently attending kindergarten. Activity number 23501. For program questions, call the museum at 913-715-2570.
Oct. 14 - Geocaching: Trick-or-Cache (All Ages)
- Antioch Park Shelter #2, 6501 Antioch, Merriam, three one-hour sessions in one-hour increments., $7 per person, $8 nonresidents - A Halloween event the entire family will enjoy! Search for hidden caches around the park with the provided GPS device. Receive Halloween candy for each cache found. Costumes encouraged! Meet at Shelter #2 of Antioch Park. One GPS device loaned per group. Please choose one of three time slots to begin your adventure. Please register each person collecting candy. Should the event need to be rescheduled due to weather, it will take place on 10/21. 10 a.m. session, activity number 23158; 11 a.m. session, 23159; and Noon session, 23160.
Oct. 14 - Theatre: Adult Hogwarts© Night (Ages 16 & Older)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 6 to 9 p.m., $25 per person - Ever want to play quidditch? Ever want to find out which house you would be sorted into? Want to experiment with some potions and concoctions? You can do it all in this night of Harry Potter© fun! Activity number 22650.
Oct. 14 - Code Ninjas: Adventures in Game Design (Ages 7-12)
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, 9 a.m. to Noon, $60 per person, $66 nonresidents - Instead of just playing games, how would you like to code your own? Learn how to build games using the characters you love and the coding skills you will gain throughout the camp! You even get to choose your own themes and worlds. Activity number 23670.
Oct. 14 - Code Ninjas: Minecraft® Modding (Ages 7-12)
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, 1 to 4 p.m., $60 per person, $66 nonresidents - Campers utilize 3D design programs to create and build structures to import into their very own Minecraft™ worlds. Learn to use Redstone and crafting in Minecraft too! Activity number 23671.
Oct. 15 - Art: Ceramic Spooky Tree (Ages 16 & Older)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, 1 to 3 p.m., $50 per person, $55 nonresidents - NEW! Add a twist to a nostalgic classic; custom glaze a 7.5” ceramic pine tree lamp with a spooky Halloween theme. During this one-time session, participants can paint a pre-made lamp with ceramic glazes any way they choose! Our teaching artist will be there to guide you through the glazing process, so no experience needed. Plastic light bulbs, topper, and electrical light included. Trees will be fired in the kiln and ready for pickup around two weeks after the class date. Activity number 22916.
Oct. 15 - Halloween: Whimsical Woods (Ages 11 & Under)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, 1 to 2:45 p.m. with eight start times at 15 minute intervals, $7 per person - including adults, $8 nonresidents, $9 on-site on day of event if space if available - There’s nothing scary about this enchanted forest. Costumed characters will delight and entertain audiences of all ages. Meet with the Good Fairy and Forest Friends. Live animals, stories, and surprises will highlight childhood favorites. Reservations are required. Group sessions begin every 15 minutes with program length approximately 1.5 hours. In case of inclement weather, program will be held indoors. Advance registration required. Minimum one paid adult per five paid children. Program fee is nonrefundable. For more information call 913-826-2800. Start times: 1 p.m., activity number 23414 FULL; 1:15 p.m., 23415; 1:30 p.m., 23416; 1:45 p.m., 23417; 2 p.m., 23418; 2:15 p.m., 23419; 2:30 p.m., 23420; and 2:45 p.m., 23421.