Theatre in the Park Temporary Art Installation
Theatre in the Park (TIP) is located on 10 acres in the northeast corner of Shawnee Mission Park. Each summer, Theatre in the Park presents five popular Broadway-style musicals with casts featuring actors from the surrounding community. The season welcomes over 26,000 attendees over the course of a summer, culminating with Evening in the Park, a free summertime party featuring live music and a movie. As an added feature to Theatre in the Park, a temporary public art project will be installed to create a fun, interactive, and magical component to this much-loved community tradition.
The goals for the temporary public art at Theatre in the Park are to:
- Engage visitors of Shawnee Mission Park and attendees of Theatre in the Park with an artwork that is fun, interactive and/or participatory.
- Create a sense of magic in the park and around Theatre in the Park that can be enjoyed during daylight and evening hours. Artists are encouraged to incorporate lighting as part of their design.
- Create a piece that is site specific and inspired by the usage and visitation.
- Provide opportunities for local and regional artists.
The Theatre in the Park Art Selection Committee includes:
- Tim Bair, Producing Artistic Director of Theatre in the Park
- Kelby Hellwig, JCPRD Central Region Park Manager
- Susan Mong, Superintendent of Culture
- Rodney Riffle, Public Art Committee Representative / JCPRD Planning & Development
- Jonathan Thomas, Theatre Advisory Council member
- DeAnn Gould-Lancaster, Community Artist Advocate
- Community Artist (TBD)
November 17, 2022
Artist Call Opens on CaFE
December 6, 2022
Virtual Open House / Informational Session
December 29, 2022
Artists Qualifications Due (by 11:59 PM)
January 12, 2023
ASC Selects Finalists
February 3, 2023
Pre-Proposal Site Visit with Finalists
February 24, 2023
Finalists Present Concept Proposals to ASC
February 28, 2023
ASC Selects Final Artist / Design
March 15, 2023
JCPRD Board Approval of Selected Artist / Design
March & April 2023
Finalize Design and Fabrication
Installation (with completion by May 31)
June 2, 2023
Artwork “Unveiled” at Theatre in the Park Season Opening
Community Engagement Activity
Fall 2023 with possibility of extending into 2024
Artwork Deinstallation (details will be coordinated in contract)