Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Information

Budget & Funding

Board of Commissioners

Public Meetings


Office & Park Hours

Law Enforcement and Park Safety


Frequently Asked Questions



Download PDF Forms

Photo Archive

Bid Notices
Search the Catalog
In the Spotlight In the Spotlight
To Search
and Register
for Activities

Q: Which Johnson County Parks and Facilities are managed by Johnson County Park and Recreation District?

A: The following are all of parks and facilities managed by JCPRD: Antioch Park, Big Bull Creek Park (future), Ernie Miller Park and Nature Center, Heritage Park, Heritage Park Golf Course, Kill Creek, Kill Creek Park Streamway , Mid-America Sports Complex, Mid-America West Sports Complex and Okun Fieldhouse, Mildale Farm, Roeland Park Aquatic Center, Roeland Park Dome, Shawnee Mission Park , the Streamway Parks System (Mill Creek, Bull Creek, Kill Creek), Stillwell Community Park, Sunflower Nature Park, The Theatre in the Park, Thomas S. Stoll Memorial Park, TimberRidge Adventure Center, and Tomahawk Hills Golf Course.

Q: Where does Johnson County Park and Recreation District post their job openings and how do I work for the organization?

A: JCPRD has approximately 200 regular full-time staff and hires approximately 1,000 seasonal and contractual staff each year. We are fortunate not to have a high rate of turnover among regular staff; however, many of our regular staff began their career as seasonal staff members. Postings of all regular staff openings are listed on the web site, on Johnson County Government’s web site,, and often in local media outlets. The web site postings are usually updated on Mondays. Seasonal Job Packets, available in early Spring (for Summer jobs), and in late Summer (for Fall and Winter positions) provide descriptions of duties, rate of pay, location of work, and application materials. Job seekers can pick up a packet at the District’s offices in Antioch Park and Shawnee Mission Park, or view the listings on the District’s web site. Many summer positions are often filled by the end of Spring Break as it is a convenient time to conduct interviews – send in your application early!

Q: Why does Johnson County Park and Recreation District's ACTIVITIES catalog list two different prices for most programs and classes?

A: Fees for Johnson County residents are discounted by approximately 10 percent from those of non-residents to reflect tax support for some programs for employee benefits. As listed in the catalog, the first price is the rate for Johnson County residents, while the second price is for non-residents. Tax support is not applicable to all programs; therefore, there are no differences in registration fees.

Q: Does Johnson County Park and Recreation District have sites/facilities available for weddings?

A: Yes. JCPRD has both indoor and outdoor venues available for wedding events and all shelters may be reserved for weddings, graduation and/or other special events.

JCPRD Outdoor Venues: If you are interested in an outdoor location, please feel free to visit Helen Cuddy Memorial Rose Garden in Antioch Park and the Whispering Pine Shelter at TimberRidge Adventure Center. The Rose Garden is primarily used for weddings. The Whispering Pine Shelter has a limestone outdoor fireplace, attached restrooms, and can accommodate up to 200 people.

JCPRD Indoor Venues: If you are interested in an indoor facility, the Mildale Farm facility is one of Kansas City's premier spots. Also, the Heritage Park Golf Course Green Room seats over a hundred guests and the Elmridge Room at Tomahawk Golf Course seats up to 150. The TimberRidge Adventure Center's Welcome Center consists of a beautiful wrap around deck, full size kitchen and can accommodate up to 80 guests. For information regarding the Mildale Farm facility and/or the Heritage Park Green Room, please call Sarah (913) 826-2957. For information regarding the TimberRidge Adventure Center, please call (913) 856-8849.

JCPRD can arrange meal catering, chair rental, etc. for gatherings. If you are interested in a price quote, please call Sarah at (913) 826-2957.

We do not reserve shelters via our web site. All reservations are conducted via telephone or on a walk-in basis. For availability and reservations call (913) 831-3359 or visit the JCPRD Registration Office in Antioch Park, Bldg. D, 6501 Antioch Rd, Merriam, KS.

Q: Does Johnson County Park and Recreation District have off-leash dog areas in their parks?

A: Yes. JCPRD has four off-leash dog areas. The four off-leash parks are located in Shawnee Mission Park, Heritage Park, Thomas S. Stoll Memorial Park and on the Kill Creek Streamway (at the 95th Street access point). Each off-leash area is an enclosed, fenced area. Also, the Shawnee Mission and Heritage Parks include a dog swimming area. Kill Creek Streamway Park has a creek, but the banks are steep and the water is generally only a few inches deep. In the interest of safety and health, the District recommends not using the creek for dog swimming. Elsewhere in the District parks and trails, dogs are required to be on a leash. The leash law is strictly enforced.

Q: Are there any fees or permits required to fish in the county lakes, where can I get the permits, and to which lakes do these apply?

A: To fish in the Johnson County Park & Recreation District lakes at Heritage Park, Shawnee Mission Park, Antioch Park, Kill Creek Park and Thomas S. Stoll Memorial Park, you will need to purchase a Kansas State Fishing License and a Johnson County Fishing Permit. Trout fishing requires an additional permit. All of these may be purchased at one of our offices: Registration - Bldg. D, 6501 Antioch Rd., Merriam, KS and Visitor Services, 7900 Renner Rd., Lenexa , KS. They are also available at many sporting goods retailers in the area. Boating permits are also available at all of these sites. Please note that the fishing at Antioch Park is "catch and release" only. For more information on the age requirements and fees, click here. You may also call us at (913) 888-4713. For information on any other lakes, you will need to contact the city in which they are located.

Q: Why is it so difficult to get my child in some Johnson County Park and Recreation District programs and camps?

A: Some popular programs fill quickly due to facility limitations. For example, youth soccer programs in the spring and fall usually turn away registrations because of the shortage of fields and the difficulties of scheduling instructional practices and game times. The District and the cities of Johnson County continue to build fields as land is acquired and development funds are available.

Q: Does Johnson County Park and Recreation District offer horse rentals in any park?

A: Rentals are not available on District properties. While Shawnee Mission Park offers several horseback trails, horses must be brought in by trailer or ridden.
[ contact us ] [ links ] [ jobs ] [ volunteering ] [ permits and fees ] [ activities ]
JCPRD Logo National Gold Medal Winner For Park and Recreation Excellence
Copyright © 1998-2017 Johnson County Park & Recreation District.
All Rights Reserved.