Heritage Park (Regional Park with Golf Course)
Note: All improvements recommended for Heritage Park have been combined in this CPA #4 listing despite
the fact that portions of the proposed park expansion will be located in CPA #2.
It is recommended
that the park be increased in size to be more than double its present acreage and be joined with the
City of Overland Park Arboretum via a new Coffee Creek Streamway Park and Trail. Planning
efforts have focused in the past on providing recreational facilities, however more attention needs to be
placed on providing more recreation facilities within an attractive park-like setting. The specific
recommendations are as follows:
Potential Sub-Regional Park (SRP)
- In cooperation with municipality, build a new multi-use recreation center and add an aquatics center as a
- Expand the park through the acquisition of additional land.
- Add a campground for large groups.
- Renovate the softball complex to new area and enlarge to eight fields, plus the addition of a new
playground and a concession building.
- Build new picnic shelter for large groups.
- Remove the barn and silo from Blackbob Island, regrade the area, plant the area with native species,
construct observation blinds and complete shoreline restoration to create more natural setting.
- Relocate and improve equestrian facility to new park area, adding polo fields, paddock and training
- Enlarge the soccer complex by adding indoor soccer, a concession area and expanded parking.
Improve the parking area for the football complex.
- Add a 9-hole golf course and improve the clubhouse to higher standard to improve the experience for its users.
Add a 5-hole youth golf learning center.
- Add two more playgrounds at key locations.
- Screen the maintenance building from park views.
- Reduce lawn areas by converting them to native plantings.
- Renovate the marina facility.
- Improve Heritage Lake by realigning sections of the surrounding trail, regrading the shoreline to create
aquatic zones that provide improved fish habitat and naturalizing the lake by introducing new plantings
in key locations.
- Review maintenance practices and develop procedures to reduce stress on Heritage Lake and improve water
- Create a new master plan for the park and additions.
- Continue to work with jurisdictional agencies to facilitate roadway improvements.
- Explore the feasibility of meeting increasing water supply needs with improvements to the present system or through an additional supply.
A new sub-regional park of approximately 250 acres is proposed at the southern terminus of Clare Road,
west of the Sycamore Ridge Golf Course. This park will be completed in conjunction with the extension of
the Little Bull Creek Streamway Park and JCPRD's Bain Creek nature site. It will provide needed useable
parkland in the future when projected development of the County reaches this area.